- Understand the concepts of geology by observing, describing, explaining and predicting geological phenomena.
- Develop an awareness of and be able to practice scientific attitudes such as open-mindedness, flexibility, intellectual honesty and critical thinking.
- Be able to objectively discuss controversial issues.
- Recognize the limitation of sciences and the tentative nature of conclusions.
- Recognize the contribution of geology to philosophy in such concepts as time and evolution.
- Appreciate the relevance of geology to environmental concerns dealing with natural resources use and conservation, climate change and mitigation of geological hazards.
Lava flow deposit, Mi-Isi Gully, Mayon volcano (2004)